Recent development of cassava industry in Thailand
Thailand is one of the world's major cassava producers and one of the world's major cassava product exporters. Cassava industry in Thailand develops well. With a tropical monsoon climate, Thailand is suitable for cassava cultivation. Cassava is Thailand's third-largest crop, after sugar cane and rice. Currently, there are 45 cassava growers in the 76 prefectures of Thailand, and the main production areas are located in the northeast, north and central Thailand (including the east). There are about 480,000 planting farmers，which accounts for 8.0% of the country's 5.6 million farmers.
Cassava production in Thailand
1. Overview of cassava production in Thailand
From 2004 to 2013, cassava production scale of cassava industry in Thailand remained stable on the whole, but affected by drought and cassava mealworm pest, some farmers changed to feed corn and sugarcane, resulting in an average decline rate of 0.22%, 2.04 % and 1.83 % of cassava harvest area, yield and yield per unit area in Thailand from 2008 to 2012.
2004-2013 cassava harvest area in Thailand (unit: hnm) and cassava yield in Thailand (unit: t)
|Year||Cassava harvest area||Cassava annual output|
Cassava harvest area in Thailand basically maintained a stable development trend from 2004 to 2013, with an average annual harvest area of 1,185,000 hm2. And it reach the highest value in 2013, with an harvest area of 1.3851 million hm2, an increase of 327,800 hm2 over 2004, with a growth rate of 31.00 %. From 2004 to 2013, cassava production in cassava industry in Thailand showed a slight fluctuation and growth trend, with an average annual output of 24.7117 million tons. In 2013, cassava production was 30.2288 million tons, an increase of 8.7875 million tons over 2004, with a growth rate of 40.99%. From 2004 to 2013, cassava yield per unit area in Thailand fluctuated around 2,000 kg/hm2, and the average cassava yield per unit area in 10 years was 2,072.74 kg/hm2.
Cassava & cassava starch
2004-2013 cassava yield per unit in Thailand (unit: kg/hm)
|Year||Average cassava yield per unit area|
|2004||20 277. 80|
|2008||21 254. 80|
|2009||22 678. 10|
|2010||18 833. 20|
2. Overview of cassava processing in Thailand
Cassava industry in Thailand is mostly used for processing and exported overseas. In 2012, domestic demand only accounted for about 25% of the total production, and the other 75% was used for export. Domestic demand for cassava is mainly used for food and energy. Cassava is mainly processed into cassava chips, cassava granules, cassava starch, ethanol and other products, or used as raw materials for the production of other industrial products, such as feed, food, sugar alcohol, monosodium glutamate, paper, textiles and so on.
Cassava processing products
3. Overview of cassava trade in Thailand
Thailand is the world's largest exporter of cassava products, with a market share of 79.56% in the world cassava market.The main export market of cassava chips in Thailand is China, the main market of cassava granules is Japan, South Korea and New Zealand, and the main market cassava starch is China, Japan and Indonesia. In 2012, cassava export from Thailand was about 7.128 million t, a total of about bt77.7 billion. The year-on-year growth rate was 11.17% and 1.13%, respectively. Due to the increase in output of cassava industry in Thailand, and export market demand of is relatively stable. Cassava grain exports continued to decline, cassava chips exporting to China are affected by China grain output and price. In addition, Thailand cassava dry dust problems, lead to suspend the import of China, and will contue import Thailand cassava until problem is solved. As for cassava starch, due to its extensive industrial use, the demand in cassava industry in Thailand is constantly increasing. From 2003 to 2012, the annual export volume of cassava chips in Thailand was 4.0446 million tons, which fluctuated greatly in 2005 and 2008. The export volume was the highest in 2004, which was 5.019 million tons, and the lowest in 2008, which was 2.8828 million tons.
Cassava processing plant in Thailand
At present, cassava industry in Thailand enjoys a good momentum of development, and its production and processing scale are relatively large. In cassava processing, advanced technology, good product quality, low cost, with a strong market competitiveness. At the same time, cassava processing enterprises in Thailand can unite to face market problems together and coordinate with government departments so as to safeguard their own interests. Many successful experiences of cassava industry in Thailand are worth learning from other countries.