How is cassava starch made from cassava?
Originating in the tropics of the Americas, cassava is now widely cultivated in tropical regions of the world. The tubers are edible and can be processed into cassava flour, cassava starch and garri. Cassava can be classified as two types: sweet and bitter. As the main cassava deep processing products, cassava starch is extensively used in food, medicine, textile, paper making, feed, chemical and other industries. But how is cassava starch made from cassava? Doing Company as an enterprise specialized in cassava deep processing equipment, our engineer can provide a professional and practical answer for you.
The technological process for how is cassava starch made from cassava:
Raw cassava cleaning - conveying - washing - grinding - separation - sand removal - concentration and refining - dehydration - air drying - sieving and finished product packaging
How is cassava starch made
1. Raw material cleaning: The uprooted raw cassava roots are firstly cleaned with the use of dry sieve, where the foreign matters of cassava such as stone, sand and weeds can be removed. As the first step for how is cassava starch made from cassava, it is required that the cassava to be thoroughly cleaned so as to facilitate the follow-up procedure.
2. Washing: The cleaned cassava is then taken to washing steps. This step has two purpose in the process of how is cassava starch made from cassava. On the one hand, the mud, sand and other debris adhering to the surface of the raw material is removed through the mutual friction between the blade and the raw material; and on the other hand, the raw material is transported from the inlet to the outlet for further processing.
3. Grinding: From here the washed cassava is then ground. Grinding plays the most important role in the process of how is cassava starch made from cassava, for it determines the starch yield. It is in realization of this fact that lead the starch producers to prioritize high efficient grinding machine for higher starch output in recent years. Grinding mainly serves to break cassava cells to release starch granules.
Cassava grinding machine
4. Slurry and residue separation: And then the grinded starch slurry is taken to separation step for fiber removal. These step is mainly for separating the starch and residue which also extract starch from the pulp for how is cassava starch made from cassava. This step also determines the starch extraction rate.
5. Sand removal: The next stage is sand removal for how is cassava starch made from cassava. By principle of gravity separation, this step can effectively remove the fine sand in starch slurry so as to further improve the precision and quality of starch.
6. Concentration and refining: Starch concentration and refining stage is mainly divided into concentrated stage, washing stage, refining and recovering stage. For the process of how is cassava starch made from cassava, the starch slurry is firstly concentrated in first two group cyclone, and the bottom flow enters the washing and refining cyclone, and finally meets the product quality requirements.
Cassava starch sieving machine
7. Starch milk dehydration: Refined starch is then processed for starch milk dehydrating to facilitate drying for how is cassava starch made from cassava. The required moisture content after dewatering is lower than 40%.
8. Starch drying: Dehydrated cassava starch is then taken to drying process of how is cassava starch made from cassava. By adopting the principle of instant drying, this step utilizes the fast motion of hot air to dry starch. Starch that have been dried by air flow will not deteriorate.
9. sieving and finished product packaging: And the dried starch is then be sift in the process of how is cassava starch made from cassava. The collected dry starch is sift out the large particles to improve fineness of starch. After sieving, the starch is packed with sachets, sacks etc for warehousing.